It’s official that the Kickstarter for Camp Nightmare, the boardgame I recently did the artwork for, did not reach its funding goal. Unfortunate not just because it featured my artwork that I like to show off but because it really is a great game that boardgamers would enjoy. The plan is to still have the game published but through a print on demand company such as Game Crafters. This will mean a smaller production run and likely the components will be reduced to lower production costs. If anyone is interested in the game they can see what it is about and get updates on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/campnightmare/
Certainly have a lot to learn from helping out with the campaign and following it closely. Reflecting on the failure there are a few things that I wish were done from the start and perhaps should have nudged the creator to see completed. For instance, getting some independent, boardgame enthusiasts with a following to do a review would have helped greatly. There were also many things that I did not think about at all when Sky started the campaign but now seem painfully obvious: having better mockups of the components such as a mockup of the game box rather than just some pictures of the cards and getting the game up on BoardGameGeek (I didn’t even realize they put up pre-published games) for instance. I asked Sky if he wanted more visuals for the campaign – but probably should have just gone ahead and made mockups and an argument as to why they should included. Easier to see this now after receiving critiques of the campaign. But it is not just knowing what should have been done. It would have been great to be able to put more into the campaign but there are also limits to commitments that will not pay the bills (the game would not really be a money maker for the creator or myself and that time can be spent on other projects among other cost-benefit considerations). Also I can’t be too critical of the decisions made about the campaign and how much energy and resources would be put into it. The game was not a partnership and the designer was assuming all the risks involved in running the campaign. It ultimately came down to what he was comfortable doing and the commitment he felt appropriate. It was a shot worth taking even if it clearly was not an ‘all in’ deal.
I pulled out the prototype copy of Camp Nightmare again this weekend game night to introduce it to a few more friends and will continue to do so. Looking forward to seeing published copies even if the print run will not be as large as it would be with Kickstarter support.